World No Tobacco Day 2020 - #TobaccoExposed: protecting youth from deceptive tobacco industry marketing, 2 June webinar
Tuesday, 19 May 2020
Webinar and Award Ceremony marking WHO World No Tobacco Day
2 June 2020, 2PM-3:30 PM CEST
The WHO World No Tobacco Day in 2020 is focused on exposing, denouncing, and taking action against tobacco industry tactics to attract new generations of consumers into using its products.
After years of progress in enacting regulations to reduce tobacco advertising, promotion and sponsorship, countries in Europe and all over the world are faced with an onslaught of old and new industry tactics to attract young consumers – some through exploiting domestic loopholes in advertising restrictions; others through new, less regulated channels.
The purpose of this online event will be to expose the marketing tactics of the tobacco industry and to call for closing the gaps in the implementation of the FCTC Article 13 and its guidelines through stronger policies and consistent enforcement.
The event will also provide an opportunity to celebrate the WHO World No Tobacco Day Award laureates in the EURO region, individuals and organisations recognised for their outstanding achievements in the fight against tobacco.
The event will be live-streamed on 2 June, to follow click on the link: https://www.youtube.com/user/ERSeducation/live
Confirmed speakers include:
- Kristina Mauer-Stender, WHO EURO
- Andrew Black, Framework Convention Secretariat
- Rana Orhan, European Medical Students’ Association
- John Real, Limerick Comhairle, Ireland
- Nina Rogelj Peloza, No Excuse, Slovenia
- Lilia Olefir, LIFE Advocacy Center, Ukraine
The following laureates for this year's WNTD award for the EURO region have also confirmed their participation during the event:
- VIVID – Institute for the Prevention and Addiction, Austria – represented by Mag. Waltraud Posch
- Dr Arsen Torosyan, Minister of Health, Armenia
- Ministry of Social Affairs and Health Finland, Finland – represented by Krista Kiuru, Minister of Social Affairs and Health
- Limerick Comhairle na nÓg, Ireland, represented by Aoife Ryan, National Executive
- Dr Ghenadie Turcanu, Program Coordinator, Center for Health Policies and Studies, Republic of Moldova
- Cancer Research UK, represented by Michelle Mitchell, CEO
The online webinar will be chaired by Alison Cox, SFP President.
The session will also include a Q&A with the speakers. Questions will be collected on Sli.do with the code #WNTD2020
To post a question in advance (available as of 26 May 2020), go to the dedicated Sli.do page for the session: https://app.sli.do/event/wmqy547l/live/questions
The webinar is organised by Smoke Free Partnership (SFP), the European Network for Smoking and Tobacco Prevention (ENSP), the European Respiratory Society (ERS), the Association of European Cancer Leagues (ECL), the European Cancer Patients Coalition (ECPC),the European Public Health Alliance (EPHA), with the participation of the WHO Regional Office for Europe.
- Download Agenda WNTD 2020 (381 downloads)