We are recruiting: Communications and Policy Officer
Monday, 06 December 2021
The Communications and Policy Officer supports the implementation of the SFP multi-annual strategy and annual work plans. S/he will work closely with the SFP Director within a small team and will have cross-cutting responsibilities to support the communication of SFP’s work towards its stakeholders. S/he will have a responsibility to coordinate SFP’s communications strategy and will represent SFP and its positions externally.
ABOUT THE SMOKE FREE PARTNERSHIP (SFP):
SFP is a coalition of NGOs working exclusively on EU policy analysis and advocacy linked to the implementation of the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC). Our vision is a world free from the death and suffering caused by tobacco consumption.
To this end, SFP works with decision makers to ensure that tobacco control receives adequate political attention at EU level and to promote tobacco control information and policy research at EU and national level, in collaboration with other EU health organizations and tobacco control networks. It also aims to ensure FCTC implementation globally, and is working to release EU funding for tobacco control to counter poverty in developing countries.
SUMMARY OF THIS ROLE
The Communications and Policy Officer supports the implementation of the SFP multi-annual strategy and annual work plans. S/he will work closely with the SFP Director within a small team and will have cross-cutting responsibilities to support the communication of SFP’s work towards its stakeholders. S/he will have a responsibility to coordinate SFP’s communications strategy and will represent SFP and its positions externally. In addition, the Communications and Policy Officer will ensure the two-way communication with SFP Coalition members and the timely reaction to network and partner requests.
- Communications and network coordination
- Draft, review and publish web and media content including press releases and statements on SFP campaigns and events
- Support the implementation of communications plans across policy campaigns
- Collect and record regularly updated information on the work and the activities of SFP Coalition members, other health organisations and EU institutions
- Propose and organise capacity-building activities for SFP Coalition members, coordinate and organise Coalition meetings
- Draft presentations, reports and briefings on campaigns and events
- Draft and publish the SFP newsletter
- Manage SFP’S social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter)
- Monitor publications of the EU for policy developments, which may be of interest to the SFP Coalition members
- Manage SFP’s contact and subscriber database
- Produce materials including, but not limited to, all SFP documents and the website
- Manages and cultivates relationships with media contacts
- Draft content for SFP reports
- Policy and Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC) implementation with a focus on tobacco taxation, product regulation, advertisement, smokefree laws, and governance/transparency.
- Develop and execute policy campaigns
- Draft policy briefings and analysis and other policy tools, responses to public consultations for own policy campaigns
- Monitor and report on political, policy and scientific developments on own files
- Support the organisations of relevant policy events
- Liaise with SFP Coalition members, EU policy-makers, experts, and stakeholders on policy campaigns
- Develop and maintain relevant contacts for own policy files including academia, civil society and government bodies on both national, European and global level
- Support the general administration and functioning of the SFP secretariat
- Represent SFP on policy issues towards SFPs stakeholders
University degree in a relevant field (Master’s level, in politics, communications, international relations, public health, law)
- 3-5 years of relevant work experience in EU policy making processes, political environment and advocacy. Experience in health/environment/sustainability is a bonus
- Demonstrable experience in communications and advocacy, ideally in a policy context
- Knowledge of and experience navigating EU institutions and processes
- Ability to prioritise and organise own work
- Ability to synthesise and analyse policy issues
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely
- Fluency in spoken and written English essential, attention will be paid on the candidate’s writing experience in English. Another EU language is desirable
- Fluency in MS Office applications, presentation development and delivery
- Experience in web content, social and traditional media, and tools such as Canva and Mailchimp
- Commitment to the core values of public health and SFP’s vision
- Positive, can-do attitude, problem solving skills
- Communicator and networker
- Ability to work independently and autonomously, as well as within a small, tight team
- within a small, tight team
- Analytical and critical thinking
- Multitasker, quick thinker, self-starting and proactive attitude
WHAT WE OFFER:
- CDI with competitive remuneration
- salary range: SFP offers a remuneration package including a gross monthly salary of around 2500€, with some flexibility for candidates with an exceptional fit to the skills and expertise required. In addition, we provide meal vouchers, a monthly allowance, private health insurance, and a public transport allowance.
- access to experts and a large diverse network
- learning opportunities and possibilities for growth
- An up-to-date CV
- A concise motivation letter (no more than 1 page) clearly stating why you are interested in working for SFP and in tobacco control, and some thoughts on SFP`s online presence and visibility.