SFP co-organises Policy Dialogue on 'Europe's Path to the Tobacco Products Directive 3.0'
Tuesday, 29 June 2021
Brussels, 29 June 2021: The MEPs Against Cancer Interest Group, the MEP Heart Group, the MEP Lung Health Group and the Smoke Free Partnership held a special policy dialogue on ‘Europe’s path to the Tobacco Products Directive 3.0’ on Tuesday 29 June 2021 from 11:00 – 13:00 CEST.
A RECORDING OF THE SESSION IS AVAILABLE HERE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJIyzEJ4B4w
The event focused on the lessons learnt from implementing the Tobacco Products Directive (TPD) and fostered multi-stakeholder dialogue on concrete recommendations to improve the TPD ahead of its revision. Among the represented stakeholders were the European Commission, the European Parliament, WHO Europe, civil society and the scientific community.
The session included interventions by:
- MEP Loucas Fourlas (Cyprus, EPP), Chair of the MEPs Against Cancer (MAC) Interest Group
- Thea Emmerling, European Commission (DG SANTE), on the learnings from the implementation of the Tobacco Products Directive 2 & next steps
- Linda McAvan, former MEP, providing insights as the rapporteur of the Tobacco Products Directive 2
- Dr. Esteve Fernández Muñoz, Catalan Institute of Oncology, on the TackSHS and the EUREST-PLUS projects
The second part of the event featured a moderated discussion and reflections from key players:
- World Health Organization – Dr. Vinayak Mohan Prasad
- European Parliament – MEP Alessandra Moretti (Italy, S&D)
- Civil society – Rutger Haandrikman, Dutch Smokefree Alliance
The session was moderated by SFP Director Anca Toma.